Surface Design Association
and the Textile Center present:
2011 International Surface Design Association Conference
Minneapolis – St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Key Conference Dates:
Pre-conference workshops: June 4 – 8, 2011
Exhibition Day: Thursday, June 9, 2011
Conference Sessions: Thursday, June 9 - Sunday, June 12, 2011
Post-conference workshops: June 13 – 17, 2011
Keynote Speaker: Pat Hickman, "Confluence: Beyond Surface"
Closing Speaker: Barbara Lee Smith: "Open to Interpretation: Signs, Maps and a Field Guide to Getting Lost "
Other Conference Speakers
- India Flint, "Ecologically Sustainable Color: Bio-regional Dyes for Cloth"
- Stephen Fraser, "Democratizing Fabric Design: The Internet and the Digital Textile Revolution"
- Fayth Levine, "DIY Handmade: Ethos and Aesthetics of Today's Craft Culture"
- Natalie Chanin, "From the Personal to the Marketplace"
- Jack Becker, "Loose Ends: Connecting Fibers in the Public Art World "
- Lanny Bergner, "Transforming the Common"
- Anna Carlson, "Fear Not: Alternative Methods for Critique"
- Jane Dunnewold, "What Matters?"
- Chad Alice Hagen, "Intermingling of Desires in the Middle-Aged Brain: A Journey of Self Discovery"
- Marliss Jensen, "Painting and Dyeing for the Theater: A Confluence of Techniques "
- Becka Rahn, "Etsy: From the Inside Out"
- Jo Stealey, "Basketry Today: The Confluence of Boundaries, Borders, and Edges"
- Bhakti Ziek, "Digital Jacquard Design Using Photoshop®"
- Panel Discussion: Leesa Hubbell (moderator), Laura Foster Nicholson, Dawn Zero Erickson, "The Textile-Driven Life: Creating Products and Careers"
- Jiyoung Chung, "Color Joomchi"
- Jane Dunnewold, "Color with Soy Wax"
- Wendy Huhn, "Acrylics for Textiles"
- Giovanna Imperia, "Kumihimo with Wire"
- Chunghie Lee, "Basic Pojagi Making"
- Sharron Parker, "Feltmaking"
- Vendor Fair
- Trunk Show
- Regional meetings
- Special Interest meetings
- Gallery Day
- DIY Festival sponsored by Textile Center
Fashion Show "Bodies of Water", Grainbelt Bottling House Atrium
For a complete list of Exhibits to visit during the conference, click here
- Faythe Levine, "Handmade Nation"
- Carolyn Kallenborn, "Woven Lives: Contemporary Textiles from Ancient Oaxacan Traditions"
For a complete list of Workshops to take during the conference, click here