Identity: Context and Reflection
Philadelphia Marriott West, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Key Conference Dates
Conference Sessions: March 30 – April 1, 2012
Post-conference Workshops: April 2 , 2012
Art Quilt Elements will open at the nearby Wayne Art Center on March 30th, and the conference will include bus trips to several of the center city venues participating in Fiber Philadelphia.
Friday, March 30, beginning 9:00 am – Full day of lecture and panel presentations PLUS the Opening of Art Quilt Elements. Lectures include keynote by Bruce Pepich; lectures by Alexandra Rella; Amy Orr and Dianne Hricko; Kathryn Pannepacker; a panel of Sandra Sider, Elizabeth Barton, and David Revere McFadden moderated by Cindy Friedman
Saturday, March 31, beginning 10:30 am– Full day of tours of the thirty-two exhibitions offered through FiberPhiladelphia 2012 PLUS the Opening of Outside/Inside the Box.
Sunday, April 1, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm —Morning lectures and panel presentations, followed by an optional afternoon critique session. Presentations include a lecture by Sandra Sider; a panel with Dominie Nash, Emily Richardson, Lorraine Glessner, moderated by Elizabeth Barton; and a closing keynote by Bruce Hoffman. The optional critique session is offered by Sandra Sider.
Monday, April 2 – Wednesday, April 4, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm – Choice of Three-Day Workshops. Workshop instructors are Anne Vickrey Evans, Lorraine Glessner, Judy Langille, Cameron Anne Mason, Jan Myers-Newbury, Laura Sapelly, and Adrienne Sloane.
IDENTITY: Artists creating fiber and textiles often struggle with how to embrace their media while attempting to contextualize their meaning within the larger art world. Come meet with us in 2012 to explore your own artistic identity.
- $300 Registration Fee, Conference and Tour March 30–April 1
- $150 Full-time Student Registration Fee for the above. (Student registrants must email a copy of a current student I.D.)
- $375 Three-Day Workshop fee, April 2–4 (plus materials fee paid directly to
- $25 Registration by mail fee
- $40 Late registration – add to registration fee if registering after March 1, 2012
- $30 Shuttle to Wayne Art Center, April 2–4 (three days, round trip). Available for the following workshops: Evans, Glessner, Langille, and Myers-Newbury.
- $45 Box lunch at Wayne Art Center, April 2–4 Available for the following workshops: Evans, Glessner, Langille, and Myers-Newbury.
- $25 Art critique participant
FULL. All slots for critique participants have been filled.
- $15 Art critique observer
FULL. All slots for critique observers have been filled.
- REGISTER ONLINE ONLY at www.SAQA.com.
- We can accept mailed registrations, but there will be an additional $25 processing fee.
• Student registrants must be enrolled full-time in a two-year or four-year program. They must provide copies of their current student I.D. (front and back) emailed to email@example.com before registration can be confirmed.
• Conference sessions will take place at the Philadelphia Marriott West in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. The one-day bus tour will travel into Philadelphia for exhibitions and openings.
• Three of the post-conference Three-Day Workshops will be held at the hotel and four will be held at the Wayne Art Center. Participants in the four workshops at the Wayne Art Center will need to provide their own transportation or reserve a spot on the daily shuttle (see below.) These participants may also order a box lunch to be delivered to the art center. Choices of menu items will be available with confirmation.
• Sandra Sider will offer a two-hour art critique session the afternoon of Sunday, April 1.
FULL. All slots for critique participants have been filled.
The Philadelphia Marriott West is the conference hotel for 2012. Special conference rate is $125.00 (per night, plus applicable taxes). Full information on the hotel and its services is available at http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/phlwe-philadelphia-marriott-west/. Reservations may be made directly through the following link: http://cwp.marriott.com/phlwe/sdasaqaconference/. Or, to make reservations by telephone, please call800.228.9290. You must book by February 28, 2012 to receive this special rate. We encourage you to use our official hotel accommodations. Your patronage is what allows us to use the space for our conference events.
Roommates at the Marriott
Need a roommate for the conference Identity: Context and Reflection in Philadelphia? The SDA Facebook page contains a Note that will provide the platform for attendees to match themselves with roommates. Go to facebook.com/Surface.Design.Association and click on the “ Notes” tab on the left hand side of the page (under the logo). The Note with the subject “ Roommate matching platform: Identity: Context and Reflection will provide information about how to post and use the note to make roommate arrangements. If you have questions on the process please contact Brittany Conroy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reservations at the Philadelphia Marriott West can be handled directly at: http://cwp.marriott.com/phlwe/sdasaqaconference/
The Philadelphia Marriott West is accessible via shuttle from the airport and details will be sent with conference confirmation. Driving directions are available at http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/directions/phlwe-philadelphia-marriott-west/.
• A $50.00 administrative fee is charged for any changes to a confirmed reservation. Any registration fee refund must be requested in writing and received by March 1,2012.
• Any refunds will be made by check sent through the U.S. Mail to the address provided by the participant.
• After March 1, 2012, no refunds will be made. We encourage you to send a qualified substitute if you cannot attend.
• SDA and SAQA will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants, including, but not limited to, airline cancellation charges or hotel deposits. Travelers insurance is suggested.
• SDA and SAQA reserve the right to cancel the event andreturn all fees in the event of insufficient registration. The liability of SDA and SAQA is limited to the registration fee.
Register online at www.saqa.com/conference.php.
Download the registration form here and mail with payment to:
Dot Moye, Coordinator/Registrar, 866 East Ponce de Leon Avenue, Decatur, GA 30030
Phone 404. 377.2116.
If registering by mail, please be sure to include the $25 registration by mail fee.